Friday, May 01, 2009

Umphrey's McGee: Tour in Arrears

I find myself listening to music quite a bit during the day at my desk, as well as long into the evenings as I work on projects for Higher Ground Games. I particularly enjoy listening to recordings of live music.

However, I have noticed lately some discontent in what I'm listening to. On one hand I'm getting bored with the same play list of studio recorded .mp3's and CD's that I have at my disposal. On the other hand, while there is a wealth of available music, I'm also struggling with my use of the Live Music Archive (in that I am sort of listlessly meandering through shows with no particular rhyme or reason). I forget which I've listened to, and can't ever remember the points in shows that I want to save and add to a regular listening rotation.

In an attempt to bring some form of structure to my listening, I am going to embark on what I'm calling a "Tour in Arrears" with my favorite live act: Umphrey's McGee. I have seen this band live about 10 times now. Each and every time they blow me away with their musicianship, energy, and all-around zest for enjoying life.
While some may be able to pull off the life of touring with a band... leaving my family, friends, day job, and other glorious parts of my life behind for touring with this group isn't something that I have any interest in doing. I see them when they come to town, but that is the extent of my live viewing at this point.

Starting today, May 1st, I am going to be listening to every Umphrey's concert I can get my hands on.... one year later.

Today's show, from Market Square - Sundown In The City (Knoxville) can be found here: http://www.archive.org/details/UM2008-05-01.

I am hoping to keep up on all of the 2008 shows on the day that they happened, and will look back to other years on days that I want to listen to something but there was no show in 2008.

What do you think of the idea of Tour in Arrears? Do you have access to a recording of a show that isn't currently up on the archive (that you legally have rights to share)? Leave me a comment below, and lets talk about it.

No comments: