Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Third try's the charm?


So, it's April 3rd. Have you ever tried waking yourself up on a certain day of each month with a specific thought? I've made different attempts at this over the years, with varying success.

First I tried "good luck on the first of the month", and I'd try to wake up and say to myself "white rabbit" three times. Apparently there is an old superstition about this, and the most common modern version states that a person should say “white rabbits” upon waking on the first day of each new month, and on doing so will receive good luck for the duration of that month. I'd often wake up and stumble through the getting ready process, not remembering it was officially a new month until well after my first couple cups of coffee.



The next was to wake up and note the day of my birth (the 10th) each month in an attempt to mark time for myself. I would review my goals, hold myself accountable to some level of progress, and push myself for continuous improvement.

Today I set up a new reminder system, so that on the 3rd of every month I wake up and the first thing I think is "I'm Third". While I make every attempt to live out this motto every day, I want to put this stake in the ground each month. I want to remember to wake up to this thought more often and a monthly reminder will be my way of developing this habit.

No comments: